Blindsided by love

I have recently attended a plethora of singles events. Quarter life crisis? Possible. To say that the events which ensued were comical would be an understatement of epic proportions. So here follows a detailed account of one of my dealings in the socially constructed and very manufactured world of single mingling.

1. Speed dating

I have always wanted to go speed dating. Following a graduate level education in romantic comedies I was totally prepared for Mr Right to glide over to my table, ask me all the right questions and for those three minutes to be the start of a new life. Obviously that didn't happen and I was left with a large glass of Pinot Grigio attempting to dull the awkwardness of what felt like a dating enema. The worst part of the whole thing was that the smorgasbord of individuals present were actually buying into it! Clipboard in hand, questions at the ready and pen poised. I found myself making up all sorts of untruths just to pass time in an amusing way. Why of course I ran marathons, saved orphans and ran a small interior design company. What normal person didn't?!

The whole experience was so clinical, so structured, so inorganic; I found myself struggling to believe that real love could spark in such an environment. Don't get my wrong, I know many people who have genuinely found happiness in such a setting but I felt grieved that my romantic sensibilities had lead me to that point.


To me love is organic, it is sudden and it's usually not at all what we expect. It doesn't live in checklists, clipboards or artificially constructed environments and It most certainly has a will and a way of it's own.


So as much as I would like to say that I walked away with a small black book filled with numbers and possibilities I left with a heavy heart and a questioning spirit. I feel that the whole experience has made me more determined than ever to be blindsided by love.

Comments

Popular Posts